Can foreign citizens apply for a smart ID card?

Permanent residency permit holders (foreign citizens who have been living in South Africa on a temporary permit for more than 5 years and now received permanent residence) do not qualify for a new smart ID card. However, they will get the opportunity to apply at a later stage. The same applies to neutralised citizens (not a citizen by birth but received South African citizenship)

I want to travel abroad with my child, does he need an unabridged birth certificate?

If your children are under the age of 15, you must still have his birth certificates on hand when he travels with you.

Can I apply online for my child’s passport?

Fortunately, you can now apply for your child’s passport online and no longer have to spend hours at Home Affairs! All you need to get started is internet access, your ID and access to your internet banking service. Use this link to make sure what the cost will be before you start:

More advice here:
Visit Worldwide’s website at You can also subscribe to the Spotlight newsletter and remain abreast of migration affairs.

Send suggestions and requests to


This post is also available in: Afrikaans

Sue-Ann de Wet
Sue-Ann de Wet
Sue-Ann de Wet is die bestuurder van Suid-Afrikaanse Diaspora, Wêreldwyd en Vriende van AfriForum by AfriForum.

Subscribe to the Spotlight newsletter and remain involved

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest